Total Pageviews

Thursday 2 January 2014

A breakthrough for Sight Loss


Latest News from Cambridge University says, they have been able to successfully print new eye cells which could be used to treat sight loss. The work was carried out using animal cells and it was a success. This opens a new age and hope for people who are affected with sight loss.  

The tests are at initial trials. Most are tests are waiting ahead before human trials. Initial experiments were conducted on adult rats. An inkjet printer was used to print two types of cells from the retina of adult rats, ganglion and glial cells. These are the cells that transmit information from eye to specific parts of brain, and provide support and protection for neurons. Currently the printed cells remains healthy and also retained their ability to survive and grow in culture. 

Even though the tests are conducted on these cells, scientists says that their aim is to use this concept and technology to use in retinal repair in the future. That is, attempt to print cells such as light-sensitive photoreceptors such as rods and cones. They have already been able to reverse blindness in mice using stem cell transplants. I hope this can be a major breakthrough in medical science and I am always inspired and motivated by "what the technology does in the field of medical science".  :) 

                           Watch this video



No comments:

Post a Comment

If anyone has any other questions or requests for future posts,how to posts, you can ask me in comments or email me. Please don't feel shy at all!

I'm certainly not an expert, but I'll try my hardest to explain what I do know and research what I don't know. I would love to hear your thoughts! Be sure to check back again. I would certainly reply to your comments :)