Total Pageviews

Monday 21 October 2013

Discovery of DNA body clock


Scientists from University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA) have discovered an internal body clock based on DNA that measures the biological age of tissues and organs. The clock shows that while many healthy tissues age at the same rate as the body as a whole, some of the parts age either faster or slower. The ageing of diseased organs were different. Researchers says that these informations along with further studies will help them to understand more about ageing process which will also lead to the invention of drugs and other products that will slow it down. 

"To fight ageing, we first need an objective way of measuring it. Pinpointing a set of biomarkers that keeps time throughout the body has been a four-year challenge," explained Steve Horvath, a professor of human genetics at the David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA. To create the clock, Horvath focused on methylation, a naturally occurring process that chemically alters DNA. Horvath sifted through 121 sets of data collected previously by researchers. 




No comments:

Post a Comment

If anyone has any other questions or requests for future posts,how to posts, you can ask me in comments or email me. Please don't feel shy at all!

I'm certainly not an expert, but I'll try my hardest to explain what I do know and research what I don't know. I would love to hear your thoughts! Be sure to check back again. I would certainly reply to your comments :)