Total Pageviews

Monday 21 October 2013

Thermoelectric bracelet wins MIT's annual design competition


An invention made by four engineering students of MIT wins first place at MIT's annual materials-science design competition. They won $10,000 as the cash prize for this cool invention. 

Most of the time we use a warm towel to keep our body warm. Especially forehead when we feel chilly. Such a measure provides us a thermal comfort. Using this concept, those students developed a thermoelectric bracelet that monitors air and skin temperature and also send tailored pulses of hot or cold waves to the wrist to help maintain thermal comfort. Really amazing right!!! 

The product is now a working prototype. Even though this can be used for individual comfort, the students primary aim is different. Their ultimate aim is to reduce the energy consumption of buildings, not by varying the temperature of building, but by cooling or heating individual. From this itself we can understand how much energy is consumed by the building just in space heating and cooling. Hence the aim is to reduce this energy consumption which will save almost 100 kilowatt-hours per month. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

If anyone has any other questions or requests for future posts,how to posts, you can ask me in comments or email me. Please don't feel shy at all!

I'm certainly not an expert, but I'll try my hardest to explain what I do know and research what I don't know. I would love to hear your thoughts! Be sure to check back again. I would certainly reply to your comments :)