Total Pageviews

Wednesday 16 October 2013

Where's my Code? Programmers beware of Compilers


Latest News from MIT says, a new system warns programmers when compilers simply discard their code. Surprising!! isn't it? But that's true. Its happening out there :D
Compilers are computer programs which translate high-level instructions written in human-readable languages like Java, C etc. into low-level instructions that machines can execute. Most compilers can modify algorithms specified by programmers for efficient run. Sometimes simply discarding the lines of code that appear to serve no purpose. But now a situation has arise where compilers sometimes becomes overaggressive, dispensing not only the functional code but also code that actually performs vital security checks. At the ACM symposium on Operating Systems Principles in November, MIT will present a new system, ie, a dubbed stack that automatically combs through programmer's code, which identifies juts those lines that compilers might discard but which could, in fact, be functional. This paper haven't appeared yet, but commercial engineers have already downloaded Stack and begun using it, with encouraging results.

No comments:

Post a Comment

If anyone has any other questions or requests for future posts,how to posts, you can ask me in comments or email me. Please don't feel shy at all!

I'm certainly not an expert, but I'll try my hardest to explain what I do know and research what I don't know. I would love to hear your thoughts! Be sure to check back again. I would certainly reply to your comments :)