Total Pageviews

Thursday 17 October 2013

Is it possible to store data for million years? Tungsten disc to the recue

Imagine a disc that can store data for million years. Is it possible? 
Data storage methods that we currently use help us to store data for few decades. Time changed and a solution that can even help the mankind to share their knowledge or information to the future generations is coming up. A team of Dutch and German researchers have developed a technology that could hold readable data for up to 1 billion years. 
How did they do it? Did they travel away from a conventional path? Did they look in a different angle? Yes. The team approached the problem of long term data storage from an angle of optical consistency. First step was to device a material that could remain stable for eons. The team settled on element tungsten because it has a very high melting point of almost 3,422 degree Celsius and low thermal expansion. It means whatever we make out of tungsten remains unchanged over time. Tungsten is somehow malleable, so researchers encapsulated the metal in silicon nitride. This inert solid is durable and is transparent to light, which allows tungsten pattern to be visualised.  The optical disk developed by the researchers employs an increasingly common type of 2D matrix barcode called a QR code.


You can read more on this on research paper: arXiv:1310.2961

1 comment:

If anyone has any other questions or requests for future posts,how to posts, you can ask me in comments or email me. Please don't feel shy at all!

I'm certainly not an expert, but I'll try my hardest to explain what I do know and research what I don't know. I would love to hear your thoughts! Be sure to check back again. I would certainly reply to your comments :)